Trying to maintain a healthy diet in college can be tough, especially when you’re stuck in a dorm.
It can be tempting to go out for every meal instead of getting creative with the few amenities college dorms provide. Luckily, I have tested and approved several easy, delicious and nourishing go-to meals that can be made in your room!
- Greek yogurt and frozen fruit
This simple meal is made up of all ready-made ingredients and makes a great protein-packed breakfast for busy days!
- Rices cakes with almond butter or avocado
Another filling and easy breakfast idea is avocado or nut butter on rice cakes. You can also get creative with your toppings — sliced banana on almond toast is a classic. This meal will take you only a minute or two to throw together and will leave you feeling full to start your day right!
- Overnight oats
When planning for a packed week, meal prep can be immensely helpful. Overnight oats arethe perfect meal to make in bulk, ensuring you have breakfast or lunch for the busy days ahead.
Here is an easy recipe.
- Fill the majority of a container with oats
- Mix two mashed bananas, a spoonful of cocoa powder and a spoonful of protein powder
- Add a dash of cinnamon
- Mix thoroughly with milk
- Place in the refrigerator and enjoy the next morning!
- Mason jar Greek salad
Another tasty meal prep idea is a mason jar Greek salad. Although I wouldn’t recommend prepping for the entire week with this meal (no one likes soggy lettuce), you can have your lunch ready for the next day.
Here’s a recipe.
- Pour dressing of choice in the bottom of the mason jar
- Layer your salad with chickpeas, cucumber, tomatoes, olives, feta cheese and lettuce
- Put the lid on the jar, and place in the refrigerator
Not a Greek salad type of gal? Switch out the toppings for whatever you like!
Creating a healthy and balanced diet doesn’t need to be complicated. All you need are a few ingredients and creativity. I hope these recipes motivate you to utilize your favorite foods and make healthy meals without having to leave your dorm room!.